Saturday, February 7, 2009

Goat Path.......

Rode what I think it THE toughest climb in the Chattanooga area today-

the Rockly Lane climb on Pigeon Mountain. It's 4K of miserably steep chip and seal in the middle of nowhere and goes even more into nowhere.

(see the link- note that I'm not the most ocmputer savy individual- I would like to actually learn how to embed this)

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=34.661028,-85.364113&spn=0.02718,0.073042&t=h&z=14&lci=lmc:panoramio

As I'm riding it I have the thought, "why in the hell did I do this climb in February?" This climb is beautiful but is most definitely my nemisys. After the 9 switchbacks of bouncy pseudo pavement, gravel and black ice wheel spinning good time, I stopped and caught my breath before I embarked on the way back down.

You see, when you get up to the top, you have 2 choices: 1) descencend the cliff you just climbed 2) ride the non paved-mogul filled rock and dirt path 8 miles to Daugherty gap.

This is the granddaddy of the road less traveled trainign series that I hope to ride again sometime this spring.


---carp

No comments: